Saturday, May 15, 2010

Requested information from the developer mailing list for Eclipse

Sent the following to the developer mailing list:

All,

I have had a hard time finding information on running ant locally in Eclipse so I can use the debugger to debug core ant code.

Do the developers on the project typically use Eclipse for development?
If so, what class path works in Eclipse to do this?
Is there a set of commands to get all the dependent jars?
Can I debug org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher directly?
If so, where should the build.xml be that it runs?

Below are the steps I have completed get this going.
I have checked out http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk from subversion to a directory called ant-core.

I got up to revision 944382 which is 1.8.2alpha.
I created a new Java Project against this code.
The default output folder is ant-core/bin.
The default Libraries are ant-antunit-1.1.jar, junit-3.8.2.jar and the JRE (I'm currently using jdk1.6.0_14)
Eclipse detects the default source directories as the following:

ant-core/src
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/core/containerssrc
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/core/loaderref/src
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/apt
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/fixcrlf/expected
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/fixcrlf/input
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/manifestclasspath
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/depend/src1
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/depend/src2
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/depend/src3
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/depend/src4
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/depend/src5
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/javah/input
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/rmic/src
ant-core/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/types/assertions
ant-core/src/main
ant-core/src/etc/tests/antunit/core/location/src
ant-core/src/etc/tests/antunit/taskdefs/javac-dir/bad-src
ant-core/src/etc/tests/antunit/taskdefs/javac-dir/good-src
ant-core/src/etc/tests/antunit/taskdefs/optional/junit/src
ant-core/src/test/junit
This results in approximately 862 errors.

I was able to build.bat and it built the project into dist.
But, I would like to be able to use Eclipse's debugger.
The main launch point appears to be org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.
I can right-click on this file and select Debug Java application and hit breakpoints I set, but I would need a clean build to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment